Markham to receive $7.3M in infrastructure funding from Canada and Ontario
July 15, 2021
Today, Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti joined Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade MP Mary Ng and Markham--Thornhill MPP Logan Kanapathi to announce that Markham will receive $7,289,158.41 from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP): COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure stream. Under the terms of this bilateral agreement, the Government of Canada will provide 80% of the funding, and the Government of Ontario the remaining 20%.
“The City of Markham is delighted and appreciative to receive funding from the Federal and Provincial governments to keep Markham safe, green and ready,” said Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti. “Funding as part of the COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program will allow the City of Markham to make safety enhancements such as touchless systems and enhanced air purification to our facilities as we begin to welcome back the public. As a municipal leader in sustainability, funding will also be allocated to planting more trees and pruning trees to improve storm damage resistance.”
As Ontario enters Step 3 of Ontario’s Roadmap to Reopen, all levels of government are working to support COVID-19 recovery and to build a safe and resilient future.
Markham’s funds will focus on five community infrastructure projects that:
The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program has been adapted to respond to the impacts of COVID-19. Up to $10M per project in federal and provincial funding is being offered for retrofits, repairs and upgrades to municipal buildings, for health infrastructure and schools; COVID-19 response infrastructure; active transportation infrastructure; disaster mitigation and adaptation; and ventilation improvements.
Screen cap of the funding announcement
Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade MP Mary Ng and Markham--Thornhill MPP Logan Kanapathi join members of Markham City Council for the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP): COVID-19 Resilience Infrastructure stream funding announcement