What’s Going on Here?: More bike lanes coming to Aurora
Construction on Lake to Lake bike lane to start this summer
April 18, 2019
York Region is building a dedicated bike lane along Bayview Avenue in Aurora.
Just the facts:
- Work is being done along Bayview Avenue between Bloomington Road and Vandorf Sideroad.
- Tree-cutting started in March. Major trail construction is scheduled for this summer and is expected to be complete by the end of the year.
- The budget for the project is $1.3 million.
- The 2.2-k dedicated bike lane is part of the 121-kilometre Lake to Lake cycling route and walking trail connecting Lake Ontario to Lake Simcoe. The Lake to Lake trail will connect to other trail networks, including the Oak Ridges Moraine Trail, Humber River Trail and Rouge Valley Trail. The trail also connects to major transit hubs, community centres, beaches and parks in York Region.
- The project includes repaving Bayview Avenue between Bloomington Road and Vandorf Sideroad; adding a dedicated cycling lane on the west side of Bayview Avenue; and enhancing the intersection with accessibility features such as crosswalk markers, accessible pedestrian signals and tactile walking surfaces.
Wondering what’s going on somewhere in your community? Send an email to email@example.com.